LAS VEGAS, NV – Light & Wonder, Inc. (L&W) has released its 2022 Global Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Report. The report details the company’s progress and key successes throughout the past year, as well as future goals in the years ahead. Among the highlights are the efforts of Light & Wonder’s new CSR program and brand, “Game Changers,” in the areas of philanthropy and community development; diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI); environmental sustainability; responsible gaming; and corporate governance.
“Light & Wonder is committed to becoming a more diverse company and serving as a responsible corporate steward, operating in the best interests of all of our stakeholders and the communities where we do business,” said Matt Wilson, President and CEO of Light & Wonder. “We are extremely proud of the great strides we’ve made in our CSR journey, including aligning in 12 of the 17 categories of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, and partnering with more than 15 responsible gaming organizations and campaigns globally. I’m even more optimistic about our future impact. Hopefully, this report serves as an inspirational road map – one that shows how far we have come and the unlimited potential of the journey ahead.”
Light & Wonder’s new CSR program and brand, “Game Changers,” was established in 2021, following a global effort to identify what really matters to the company’s employees, customers, and communities in which it operates worldwide. Game Changers is defined by five key pillars that have been developed and integrated across Light & Wonder to include: community, people, planet, player and governance.
“We call our CSR program ‘Game Changers’ because that’s exactly what we’re doing – focusing on changing the game every day for our people, planet, players and communities,” said Tracy Skenandore, Vice President of Corporate Social Responsibility at Light & Wonder. “Looking forward, we intend to invest in a more diverse and sustainable future by expanding our percentage of spend with diverse suppliers, achieving higher participation in our DEI education programs and training by 2025, increasing internal promotion opportunities, and reducing the use of products that contain volatile organic compounds. I see the great work being done in each of our markets that make a lasting impact while we serve as Game Changers.”
Though still in the early stages of its CSR journey, Light & Wonder has seen progress across several pillars. Highlights from the report include:
- Community – Philanthropy, Volunteerism, and Community Partnerships:
- Hosted more than 25 large-scale, in-person philanthropy and team-building events and six virtual philanthropy events globally
- Donated a combined $1.3 million in charitable contributions and donated goods and volunteered 18,000 hours globally to 200 non-profits worldwide through the Game Changers Volunteer Program
- People – Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Recognized 80 cultural events and global observances. Hosted more than 10 virtual DEI-centered events for employees with guest speakers and community partners
- Received the DEI Award of the Year at the Women in Gaming Diversity Awards
- Planet – Environmental Sustainability, Clean Communities and Sustainable Operations
- Received the Sustainable Business Award at the 2021 International Gaming Awards
- Supported the Great Global Cleanup where more than 350 employees globally participated in community cleanups
- Sponsored the Canopy Project and donated 7,500 trees to help with reforestation in developing countries impacted by natural disaster
- Player – Responsible Gaming Practices and Industry Stewardship
- Supported a variety of organizations that advocate for responsible gaming and education campaigns, such as American Gaming Association’s Responsible Gaming Education Week and Industry Group for Responsible Gaming Responsible Gambling Week
- Invested in programs and systems like pre-commitment software that provides players with a tool to personalize a gaming budget and make informed decisions in more than 60 casinos located in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.
- Corporate Governance and ESG
- L&W’s global work and company-wide initiatives align with 12 of the 17 UN’s Sustainable Development Goals, including: poverty; good health and well-being; quality education; gender equality; decent work and economic growth; industry, innovation, and infrastructure; reduced inequalities; sustainable cities and communities; responsible consumption and production; climate action; life on land; and peace, justice, and strong institutions
Next year, Light & Wonder’s goal is to reduce its overall carbon footprint with increased recycling efforts and renewable energy usage, and continue to make a positive impact in the communities where they work, live, and play by further investing in charitable partnerships that drive meaningful actions.