STIGLER, OK – The Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma (CNO) and the Choctaw Development Fund (CDF) awarded the city of Stigler $175,790 to conduct an engineering analysis to study and survey the Stigler Lake Dam.
“A proper engineering analysis ensures fewer mistakes and errors are made,” said Bobby Mouser, Stigler City Manager. “This analysis study will help address several issues we have with the current Stigler Lake Dam and will prevent costly mistakes down the road. We are appreciative of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma for their assistance – if it wasn’t for them, this study wouldn’t be possible.”
The engineering analysis study will include the following:
- Surveys of the dam site. No drawings exist for the dam and topography of the dam and its immediate surroundings, so a survey is needed to evaluate slope stability and hydraulic adequacy.
- Investigate top-of-rock surface below the dam, embankment zoning, foundation soil types, and preferential water flow pathways.
- Perform tests and collect samples of embankment and native soils for geotechnical testing.
- Perform slope stability analysis of the dam.
- Perform seepage analysis in support of slope stability analysis and assist in determination of seepage control/cutoff design.
- Perform hydrology and hydraulics analysis to determine the dam and spillway capacity.
- Prepare a report, which includes all of the above investigations and analysis, and evaluates alternatives for mitigation of dam safety deficiencies including concept level drawings.
“Dams are critical structures and the safety of the residents of Stigler is of utmost importance to us,” said Ron Perry, Choctaw Nation Tribal Council Member District 5. “The engineering analysis to the Stigler Lake Dam is important not only for water supply in Stigler, but flood control and recreational use. The analysis will provide great insight to our city for years to come.”
The CDF supports economic viability and sustainability by partnering with Choctaw small business owners, cities, and municipalities to create long-term growth and job creation within the territories of CNO.
The city of Stigler expects to complete the engineering analysis study by the winter of 2023.